Tarun Tahiliani co-founded Ensemble in 1987, revolutionizing luxury retail. A renowned fashion designer and FDCI co-founder, he made history as the first Indian at Milan Fashion Week in 2003. In 2021, he launched ‘Tasva,’ an affordable menswear line with Aditya Birla Fashion.
His book Tarun Tahiliani: Journey To Modern India, penned by journalist, Alia Allana, documents the journey of Tarun Tahiliani. It celebrates Tarun Tahiliani’s contribution to the world of fashion not simply through his captivating designs but also through a question he aims to answer through his ensembles: Can the past and present be merged for the global contemporary society?
We recently did a candid interview with him.
1. What is the last book you read?
The Social Animal by David Brooks.
2. A guilty pleasure?
3. An artist that you admire greatly.
Shanti Dave, Akbar Padamsee and many more.
4. A fashion designer you admire.
Pierpaolo Piccioli and what he does for Valentino.
5. Which book has stayed with you?
As a Man Thinketh and Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.
6. What apart from what you do today do you wish you could do or pursue as a career?
I would love to have been an Architect or a Painter.
7. Your greatest fear?
Never to be inspired
8. A trait you admire in yourself?
My doggedness, they say I go on and on
9. Who would be the guests at your perfect dinner party?
I have them every week.